I'm kicking off the Thanksgiving season with one of my favorite one pot meals – Chicken and (Red) Rice! It's another one of those meals that's so easy to make yet it tastes like you worked all day to get dinner on the table. Our new Southern Red Rice complements the chicken perfectly – it adds an extra kick of flavor without being overwhelming or heavy. I love how this recipe> combines Latin flavors with Southern style cooking to create a dish that tastes like comfort food meets Latin cuisine. The result is a twist on classic comfort food that tastes amazing alongside turkey or other holiday fare.
- 3 Chicken Leg Quarters
- 2 Cups Chilau Southern Red Rice
- 4 Cups Water
- 2 TBSP Canola Oil or Preference
- Chilau Garlic Pepper (Season to taste)
- Salt to taste (Optional)
Use an 8 quart cast iron pan, dutch oven or oven safe pot
- Remove skin from chicken and season on both sides with Chilau Garlic Pepper.
- Bring pot to medium-high heat, add oil and sear chicken for 5 minutes on each side, remove from pan and set aside.
- Add water to pan making sure to scrape the bottom to loosen crispy bits stuck to the pan
- Bring to a rolling boil and stir in rice (Tip: before adding chicken taste water and add salt or seasoning to taste)
- Add chicken and cover with lid or foil
- Bake in a 350º oven for 45mins
- Ensure chicken has reached an internal temp of 160º
TIP: To serve a crowd pleaser remove check from the bone, shred and stir into the rice before serving. Enjoy!!!!