There is something to be said about the richness of savory oxtails cooked in the perfect gravy. I decided to put a little spin on this recipe by incorporating a Louisiana style roux with the base along with Chilau Gumbo sauce. It results in the richness of Gumbo but with the rich beefy flavor of oxtails. This recipes can also be made with Chilau Original.
- 1 Cup Chilau Gumbo or Original
- 32oz Beef or Chicken Stock
- 4 lbs Raw Oxtails
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Red Bell Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Green Bell Pepper
- 1 Cup Chopped Onion
- 1 Cup Canola Oil
- 1 Cup All purpose flour
- Chilau Garlic Pepper Seasoning
- Chilau Original Seasoning
- 2 Small Cans of butter beans (drained)
- Season oxtail liberally with Chilau Seasonings (or preferred), toss in olive oil and let marinate over night
- Roux: add oil to heavy bottom pot (8 qtr Dutch oven) over medium heat, add flour and stir until dark brown
- Remove from heat and add chopped veggies and stir until translucent
- Add liquids, stir until mixed well. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Broil oxtails in an oven safe pan for 10 minutes until brown (5 minutes on each side )
- Add oxtail to dutch oven, stir and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and place in oven on 225 for 2.5 hours. (Option to use a pressure Cooker for 45 min)
- Remove from oven and skim excess oil from the top
- Taste gravy, add salt to taste. (Additional Garlic Pepper optional)
- Stir in butter beans and simmer 10 minutes.
- Serve over rice and enjoy!!!!